The Catchpenny

One damned thing after another.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Norristown, Pennsylvania, United States

04 September, 2005

"Specious Inquisition" for 9/4/05

How will you remember William Rehnquist?

For my part, I'll never forget one cool Saturday evening in May 1998 when Billy Rehnq called me up and asked what I was doing.

"Nuthin'," I said.

"Can I come over?" he asked. He sounded upset. "I need to talk. Nothing major, just girl stuff."

And so he did, and we sat up until the wee hours of Sunday morning talking about times old and new. We did each other's hair, ate Ben & Jerry's (I had "Chubby Hubby" while Billy- of course- had a pint of "Writ of Macadamia"), and gave each other quizzes from my stockpile of Cosmopolitan back issues. It was a night I'll never forget, less because of the fun Billy and I had than for the heartbreak that came later when he stopped taking my calls and even acknowledging my existence. I never got the chance to ask him why. Guess I'll have to wait till we're both in heaven. Or wherever he went.

But what about your memories of Mr. "I'm too busy to call back, but for the last time, I am not your 'Snoogle-wookums'"? That's the subject of today's "Specious Inquisition."



1 Comments:

Blogger Guambat Stew said...

Remembered as the last Chief Justice before the SC jumped its rails and ran off down a dirt road faster'n Hogan's goat.

12:09 AM, September 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home